3.04.2010

Our Cheshire Cat

The 75¢ "AS IS" [chipped ear] calico cat I picked up at the thrift store on Monday is now our Cheshire Cat for Libby's Alice in Wonderland Party. :)

Libby said she wanted to help. Knowing paints & almost-3 year olds don't really mix ... I gently suggested she watch. She protested & insisted on helping. I felt bad since it was part of her party decorations, after all, so I let her help with the base coat. She was so excited. She didn't even get a drop of paint on her jammies. She covered the cat in lavender. She was very quiet while she worked ... every once in awhile, though, she'd say something along the lines of "I da best painter. Mom. Right?" There was no rushing her ... I had to wait for her to tell me she was done. :) I put some "finishing touches on it" to smooth out the base coat ... and when it dried she got to help out again with the 2nd coat before Mommy added the stripes to finish him up.

He turned out purr-fect. :) I think we're getting pretty attached to seeing him peer over the mantle. As you can see, we've already started some of the decorating. Can't wait! :)

5 comments:

Dana said...

soooo cute!! i knew you were going to do something to make him come "alive"!! so excited for the party pictures!!

Lindsay - Pen and Paint said...

Fantastic...cheers to the best painter and mommy :)

Janette said...

LOVE, LOVE, LOVE it! The pics of Libby are so precious. I can't believe she is turning 3!
I can't wait to see pics of the party. I am excited to see what you are going to do. :)

Jaclyn Morgan said...

Not only did the cat turn out adorable, but the "best painter" got to help!

He does look great peering over the mantel---something tells me he'll find a spot in your house even after the party.

Do I see red roses? You're not going to let the kids paint roses as an activity?

Leah Warren said...

turned out even better than I imagined! Way to go "best painter" duo! Are you going to be pulling out some of your old Alice in Wonderland stuff?!?