3.03.2010

Rainbow Cookies


I got this recipe about 6-7 years ago. I kept getting these packs of free recipe cards mailed to me from Creative Cook's Kitchen ... they were hoping to get me to buy into their monthly recipe program (and you got a binder to put all the recipes in, etc.). Never bought into the program ... but I do treasure some of the freebies I got. This is one recipe card that has been in my accordion file all those years ... just waiting 'til I could use it.

I think Libby's Birthday treats for school is a perfect occasion. :)

R a i n b o w C o o k i e s

1 cup [2 sticks] butter or margarine, softened
2 cups sugar
2 large eggs
1 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
1/2 tsp almond extract
4 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1 tablespoon baking powder
1/4 tsp salt
red, yellow, green & blue food coloring paste or gel
1 cup prepared vanilla frosting

1. In a large bowl, using an electric mixer set on medium speed, beat butter & sugar until fluffy. With mixer on low speed, beat in eggs, vanilla & almond extracts. Beat in flour, baking powder & salt until a dough forms. [*Mine was the consistency of sand ... so I added milk little by little until I could work with it ... but don't make it too wet.]

2. Measure 1/4 cup dough; knead in red food coloring until desired color is reached. Roll into a 5-inch log.

3. Measure 1/2 cup dough; knead in yellow food coloring. Roll dough into a 5- x 3 1/2-inch rectangle; use a ruler to keep the corners square. [*Ruler? I just used my hands & patted it in place.] Place red log in center; fold yellow dough around log. Pinch to seal (do not overlap edges). Roll to form a smooth 5-inch log.

4. Measure 3/4 cup dough; knead in green food coloring. Roll dough into a 6- x 5-inch rectangle. Place log in center; fold green dough around log. Pinch to seal; roll to form a 5-inch log.

5. Measure 1 cup dough; knead in blue food coloring. Roll into a 8 1/2- x 5-inch rectangle. Place log in center; fold blue dough around log, pinching to seal edges. Roll to form a smooth log; wrap in waxed paper. Freeze until firm, about 1 hour, rolling log every 15 minutes. [*Basically, the amount of time it takes to make the clouds... works out nicely.]

6. Preheat oven to 350F. Grease 3 baking sheets. Roll remaining dough to a 1/4-inch thickness. Use a scalloped flower cookie cutter to cut clouds.

7. Transfer cloud cookies to prepared baking sheets; bake for 8 minutes. Transfer cookies to wire racks to cool.

8. Cut log in half lengthwise along seam; cut each half into 15 slices.

9. Bake cookies about 10 minutes. Let cool. Frost clouds with vanilla frosting; place a rainbow cookie on each. Sprinkle with nonpareils or sugar crystals; let stand to set frosting.

*Note off to the side: If you're short on time, use refrigerated cookie dough. For the amount of dough needed in this recipe, use 2 packages (18 oz each) sugar cookie dough mixed with 1 cup flour.

*Variations: Pot of gold (gold foiled candy) at the end of the rainbow, all placed on top of a cupcake ... St.Patrick's Day!

4 comments:

Dana said...

SOOOOOO FREAKING CUTE!!! i love these...what a beautiful cookie! those little ones are so lucky to get these!! yummy!!

Anonymous said...

Rachel, those are awesome!!! U'll b a hit in Libby's class; the kids will love those! Great job!!
Kathy B

Cindy said...

We're trying these today for my daughter's 6th birthday treats! Hoping ours turn out just as BEAUTIFULLY!!

Cindy said...

Thanks for the comment you left for me! I am so glad you found my post. I meant to come back and tell you how AWESOME these cookies turned out and how they will most likely become a birthday tradition for us ;) I'm so glad you shared...and so glad that I came across them :)