9.29.2011

Hello Dolly ...

I was given these 2 pieces to "redo" for a little 2 year old girl's Birthday that's coming up. They were being passed down from one generation to another. I was given free reign. They were in pretty good shape & already painted with a good coat of white. All I did was clean them up, give them a fresh coat of white & add this little dainty touch of personalization. I decided on this sweet & simple design. 

Remember the set I met for Libby's 3rd Birthday [pictured on the left with more of my Thrift Store loot from that day]? I think for the set I paid $8.  Because her room already had a lot of things I have painted, I went another route for hers; just wood glued the sweet little kitty cat to the head of the cradle. [side note: the baby in the high chair Libby used to call "fire baby". She thought those were flames on top of the head. So funny.]
And then a year ago, for my sweet niece's 1st Birthday, I redid a 50+ year old cradle that my sisters & I had played with when we were little. My mom had purchased it from a garage sale long ago. The sweet vintage fabric was ripped beyond repair, so for Anna's "redo" I bought some quilted fabric in a soft sage green & a little bit of lace trim. I just used the old fabric insert & followed the lines to make a new cradle liner. I kept the vintage peachy pink color because I liked it & also so that it still had a familiar look to it from when we played with it. 

I adore these little pint size makeovers. This kind of stuff is so fun for me. It's one of the reasons I go to thrift stores ... a little paint can go a long way. I think it really says something that these pieces have been around awhile. After years & years of PLAY TIME? And with a little TLC they are as good as NEW.

3 comments:

Dana said...

So sweet! I'm sure those two pieces are going to be such a big hit! There is something so fun about pint sized furniture. Oliver has two pieces that I will need to paint some day in the near future. Can't wait! :)

Jaclyn Morgan said...

They look really nice and thanks for the link to my other garage sale finds in days gone by.

Karah said...

awwww how sweet..love what you did with the vintage finds:)