8.06.2008

Unexpected



I just posted about my disappointment in the zinnia seeds I planted almost 2 months ago. But this afternoon, I walked outside & rounded the corner of the side yard to find this...


I was stunned to see this growing in my yard, unbeknownst to me. We've lived in this house 1 year this week. I have tried not to do too much digging & ripping out because I learned my lesson in our previous house. I chopped down a tree that I thought was dead, but it was just ... dormant. :) whoops. So in this house, I wanted to watch everything cycle through 1 whole year & all 4 seasons.

Living in this house 1 full year, I've seen 2 of our trees burst with purple lilacs, hydrangea bushes bloom with pink, blue & purple, daffodils & hosta pop up... and now (after an hour of searching the 'net & tracking it down) I have some Amaryllis Belladonna (* "Surprise Lily" or "Magic Lily" *). I am absolutely in love with the mix of colors. The lime green, wine, lavender, pinks & yellow. I think what made it even more breathtaking, however, was not knowing it was there. How does something like this grow without me seeing it?

So my disappointment over the Zinnias & my surprise over the Amaryllis has me thinking what a fantastic parallel this is to life. Sometimes what we think we want, what we're working so hard to get - isn't meant to be. Instead, we get something we didn't even know we wanted, until we had it. I think sometimes we just need to trust that something better is waiting for us just around the corner. :)
We must be willing to get rid of the life we've planned,
so as to have the life that is waiting for us. - Joseph Campbell

2 comments:

Jaclyn Morgan said...

I hate to disagree with you but what you have is probably a "Magic Lily", "Surprise Lily", "Resurrection Lily" or Lycoris squamigera---still in the amaryllis family though.

http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/showimage/20380/

These are very unusual---the leaves appear are green and disappear, then without warning the flowers are there (with no leaves)---thus the names "Surprise", "Magic", "Resurrection"

hear.t. and hue said...

That's definitely a match! I'm just mad I wasted an hour trying to find it when all I had to do was send the photo to you! Kyle will be mad, too, because he wanted to use the laptop & he didn't think "flower hunting" online was very "important". :) ha!