2.10.2012

Bathroom Redo ...

I'm not saying the new bathroom is better. The previous owners of this house put up the wallpaper. The upstairs bathroom has similar paper in a red, pink & green color scheme. I loved BOTH. But, since we gave our 5 month old daughter [in 2007] the master bedroom upstairs, we got one of the bedrooms downstairs which means we use the downstairs bathroom on a daily basis. And there's no vent fan in there. Which means the wallpaper had steamed itself off. Every seam was split open. So it was time for a redo. When I took it down, whole sheets came down. :( That's how bad it was.

I spent 2 days scrubbing the glue off.  Not the most fun part of the process. I picked out a shade of gray that was lighter than the tile - "Whispering Smoke". I already had gray enamel paint that was dyed to match the original tile [from when we remodeled our basement & the plumber had to bust through the wall behind the sink in this bathroom to get to a pipe]. So I just painted over the trim tile that had previously been painted a dark blue [original trim color was a 1950's peachy pink]. It's not a perfect match ... but I think it's good enough. I love that the bathroom as a whole now is neutral ... all gray & white.  I think since we got the opportunity for a change, I just wanted to take a break from "busy". The wallpaper, although pretty, was busy. So I'm liking the change.

I slowly added color into the color scheme starting with the mustard yellow bath mat. I love gray & yellow together. But knowing the rest of the bathroom was neutral & although I'd be buying a new shower curtain I still wanted it all white, I began looking for fun fabric for the curtains. I found these beautiful tea towels at Tuesday Morning & fell in LOVE. They already had the green lace trim. All I had to do was fold the top down 2 inches & sew straight across to make a pocket. I was done & had them up in 2 minutes flat. 

The mirror came with the house. The previous owners had it painted all metallic gold, which I quickly painted all white since every metal fixture in the bathroom was silver. So for the new bathroom design, I filled in the irises [I think they're irises] & leaves with some paint to match the flowers in the curtains. 

Again, I'm not saying it's better ... it's just a change. Almost a 180 when you consider that where there was color & crazy before [all over the walls] is now solid & neutral. And where it was Plain Jane before [mirror & curtains] is now crazy & colorful. Change is good. :)

2 comments:

Karah said...

love love love it! it's perfect rachel rose!!!!!

Dana said...

it looks awesome girl!! i love your curtain! so pretty!!!