8.11.2009

This Isn't Just Ice Cream ...

... this is a celebration. In honor of some perfect strangers. Who are spending their last days together.

A week ago, we were out to dinner at the Cajun's Wharf in Little Rock. We had driven all through the night the night before, arriving at the hotel at 2:00 AM. It was a rough day. The kids were wrecks. Kyle & I had a short wick. We'd had better days, but knowing we only had a few days in Little Rock together, Kyle took me and the kids to one of the best restaurants in town. Great food, great atmosphere. Right on the Arkansas River. We sat right next to this huge cylindrical fish tank hoping it would keep the kids entertained.

Behind Kyle was a walker. I remember looking over the table of four behind us and eyeing the two couples who all appeared to be in their 60's. Subconsciously, I did wonder who the walker belonged to, since they all appeared to be "healthy". When those four people got up to leave, a man got the walker and put it in front of his wife. He then approached our table and said "I just wanted to say how impressed I am with these kids. You have some well-behaved children. When you all came in, you all looked pretty fatigued [Libby was asleep on my shoulder] ... but I have to say, I am impressed." Kyle & I were a bit shocked to hear that. It's not every day that you get complimented on your children's behavior. Especially on a day where we all were indeed fatigued. But we smiled & genuinely thanked him.

After he and the rest of his group left, I expressed to Kyle how nice that was to hear. We rarely go out to dinner. It's not exactly "fun" to do with a 7, 5 & 2 year old. So when we do go out to dinner, I'm overly conscious [stressed] about how we're affecting others. You know ... trying to keep the kids in their seats, the voices down, etc. It was so nice to have attention drawn to our family ... but for a good reason. That felt nice.

A couple minutes later, the man came back. He said "I hope you don't think this is weird. But I really meant what I said. I am just so impressed with your children. And you both as parents ... if you don't mind, I'd like to give the kids some money for ice cream." He tried to hand Kyle a folded up ten dollar bill. Kyle didn't take it and said "No no, please. Your words were kind enough. You keep it. You and your wife enjoy a glass of wine!" It was then that he confessed, "Well, actually ... my wife has terminal cancer. And that's why ... I want to do this. When we see something now that we want to do, WE GO DO IT. She's been given 30 days to live, TWICE. And we're still here! You all remind me of us long ago ... we had 4 children in 8 years. I just was touched watching you all, and I would just really love if you would take this. I know it's not much, but..." After hearing the explanation, we felt obligated to carry out his wish. We told him we'd take the kids out for ice cream and in exchange, we'd keep them in our prayers.

The next afternoon we fulfilled his wishes. And I've said a prayer for that couple every time I think of them. Which is a lot. I don't think I will ever forget that moment. I am in total awe of the way this couple was choosing to spend her final days - leaving a trail of love, joy & inspiration everywhere they go. What a way to live.

We don't remember days; we remember moments. - Cesare Pavese

6 comments:

Dana said...

okay my eyes are filled with tears. that is the sweetest story. i hope she keeps getting 30 more days. wow..there are still amazing people out there and it's so nice to hear about them!

Jaclyn Morgan said...

I'd heard the story before and am still tearing up.

Anonymous said...

whew
rachel, what a tear-jerking story & kudos to u & Kyle for raising such great kids! high 5!

Nikki said...

Ok rachel - you just made me cry...just coming off of mike's mom's battle with cancer. sheesh. And, I just scrolled down & saw you have more quote canvases. Great...:)

Anonymous said...

Such a lovely couple and a great read. I do confess that I have a few tears flowing down from reading this.

Leah Morgan Korbel said...

Oh wow. And now they have even more people, who've never met, them praying for them.