12.10.2013

Reminders at Christmas ...




Long time, no blog. I might have even had to google how to write a post - well, how to find the screen that allows me to create a post. I couldn't find it. Sorry blog ... but Instagram is just so easy. But I'm back to share one of the most fun projects I've done - and one we're about to start during this holiday season.  

I'll start with the one we did this spring. For the past few years, the 3rd graders had done a nativity scene made of clay as their class auction gift. Me and clay, however ... do not mix. My mom has a bird at her house that I made in about 3rd grade. And I remember trying to construct it carefully & artfully as shown by the art teacher. But the clay was dry & when it all fell apart, I panicked. I believe it had to be finished that day. So I just smashed it all together in a hurry so it could get fired. My mom still has it in her basement on a shelf. And I wince every time I look at it or touch it. It has so many sharp edges, it's not only ugly, it's hazardous.

So ... when I was asked to do the nativity scene with the 3rd graders, I knew it would not be made of clay.

I had just made the tree for the school & had gotten pretty well acquainted with papier mache. And I knew it was pretty forgiving. I know people thought I was crazy. I was even a little embarrassed to tell people what I was doing because I know they had visions of  absolute miserable failure in their heads. And papier mache I think is one of those things that you even doubt yourself until you are just mere minutes away from being done.

I began by asking the students to raid their recycle bins at home. They brought in newspaper, magazines, boxes, toilet paper & paper towel rolls. I bought rolls of masking tape, flour, plastic white trays for the papier mache project and some plastic totes and bubble wrap for them to be easily transported and stored. I already had all the paint and another family at the school generously donated the wooden stable. I can't remember my grand total exactly, but it had to be about $30 - $15 a set.

We made 2 scenes, 1 for each class. Here's how it was broken down:  Joseph, Mary, Baby Jesus, Manger, 3 Wisemen, 2 Shepherds, 2 Angels, 3 Sheep, 2 Camels, 1 Donkey, 1 Cow, 4 Trees, 1 Star.  I know we had some last minute changes to this line up, but this was at least the start of breaking down the parts for 23 kids.

We started out just balling up newspaper & taping it up. The people standing up (wisemen, shepherds) were a full size toilet paper roll, the ones kneeling and the angels we had cut down to a smaller size. The sheep were just balls of newspaper. The cows, camels & donkeys were all full size toilet paper rolls. The trees were paper towel rolls cut at various sizes. For the mangers, we cut the ends off a box from a bar of soap and stuffed it with newspaper.
We had the kids come out in small groups, grouped together by what part of the nativity set they were. 

To keep the pieces straight, I wrote their names in permanent marker on the pizza box or on the paper in the space where it was drying.
There's a whole lotta imagination that is used in the beginning. Was I worried? Heck. Yes.   Nah, what can go wrong?
We covered the pieces in newspaper strips dipped in the flour & water paste. After spending 2 1/2 long days at school, I decided it was time to take the pieces home and give them all their finishing touches. Mostly, this just meant more layers of papier mache. But I also needed to put staffs in the hands of the shepherds and gifts in the hands of the wisemen.


Originally, I was going to have the kids paint their pieces. But. I had already spent 2 1/2 school days on this project, pulling the kids in & out of their classroom. And I knew it was going to take up way too much time for me to load it all back up, set up the tables, paints & bring them out in small groups. I knew I wanted a very minimal look to all the pieces anyway (no faces or details), so I thought for the minimal painting that needed to be done, it was probably not worth me loading it all up, setting up camp & dragging the kids out of their classrooms for another day or 2. 

I really loved watching the pasty looking newspaper 'blobs' come to life. It is amazing what paint can do. I wrote the names of each student on the bottom of their piece once they were all dry.

Below are the two finished nativity scenes (*the stars were then wrapped in wire so that they could be attached to the stable). I really love the way they turned out.  Together they raised almost $1,500 for our school. As I told the teachers after the auction was over ... "Not bad for recyclables." :)
I think they are a beautiful reminder of what the season is really about.  The birth of Jesus to show God's love for mankind. Appreciating the simple things around us and using them for good. This was made mostly with things people no longer wanted. Yet for our project they allowed us to create a masterpiece and allowed families to be generous with donations to our parish school. Sometimes so much more can come from giving up what you don't need so someone else can treasure it. 

Just last week I found this project called "Light 'Em Up" which gives some ideas for random acts of kindness you can spread around your city, family and friends. If you have ever been on the receiving end of a random act of kindness, then you know it doesn't take much to have a huge impact (here is  what $10 once did for our family). I love that it helps teach kids that the focus on the season should be about the giving not the receiving. We picked out some stars off the "Giving Tree" at church, but I [mom] did all the shopping for it.  So this week, as a family, we're going to pick out a few items and help bring some "goodness and light" to Kansas City. 

"Let us not be satisfied with just giving money. Money is not enough, money can be got, but they need your hearts to love them. So, spread your love everywhere you go."- Mother Teresa


No comments: