2.29.2012

Pencil & Paper ...


... and an eraser & a tortillon.  :) I totally had to look up what that rolled paper blending tool was called. Couldn't remember for the life of me. But I've had it since my last art class in college. Good for it, having its own Wikipedia page!

Anyway, I did this sketch for a friend. I was asked to participate in a scrapbook project & this was what made up one of my pages. I put a copy of it in the book, then mailed her the original.

This sweet face, is still on the other side of the world waiting to come home to the mommy & daddy that God has chosen for him. And that time can't come soon enough. :) My nephew is adopted & 4 years ago tomorrow they brought him home as a 22 month old. That means that for 22 months ... there was no photographing his every milestone, every funny thing, every sweet smile - like doting parents tend to do. They got photos, when they got them. And it's usually so systematic. Not a lot of thought goes into the photos. There's no "let's try that again so we can capture that cute biiiiig smile!" Nope.  :( But as a parent-in-waiting, you hold on dearly & treasure that photo, more than anything. You take the time to study every feature, their posture, their expression ... because that's all you have to tide you over until the next one. Or until they are placed in your arms.

So I selected this photo from this sweet boy's 1 year check up visit. A special keepsake to mark when he was just 1 year old. No doctor's office in the background .. just a chance to concentrate on him. And his features. In the sweet polo that his parents had mailed over to him in a care package. It's just simple. But hopefully a nice keepsake celebrating a special time in his life, before there was the chance to have that amazingly creative birthday celebration thrown by his doting parents ... like I know his 2nd birthday will be! :) Sending up some prayers that he is home SOON!

2 comments:

Dana said...

That's my beautiful birthday boy!!! I can't thank you enough Rachel for this wonderful surprise!! It's so true about the pictures..no matter what they are doing...adoptive parents are just so grateful to actually get an updated picture of their child. Every picture is a celebration! I hold all my pictures near and dear to my heart...they are the only thing I have that ties me to my sweet boy until he comes home....but He's coming home soon!!! Xo!!

Karah said...

gorgeous, rach! what a very special gift!